As reported on July 9, 2009 on foxnews.com
A 22-year-old factory worker died Wednesday after he fell into a vat of boiling chocolate at a manufacturing plant in New Jersey, police said.
The Camden County prosecutor's office identified the victim as Vincent Smith II. He was a temporary worker at the Cocoa Services Inc. plant. Smith had been in the melting pot for about 10 minutes by the time rescue crews arrived, MyFOXPhilly.com reported.
Prosecutor's spokesman Jason Laughlin says a co-worker tried to shut off the machine and two others tried to pull Smith out of the 8-foot-deep vat. He was hit and fatally injured by the agitator that mixes the chocolate. By the time he was pulled out of the tank just after 11 a.m., he was already dead.
Editor Rozek’s Notes: This is tragic…but didn’t I read this in a book called Charlie and the Chocolate factory? Was there a golden ticket in there or something? I’m surprised this doesn’t happen more often. Haven’t you ever been standing over an 8 foot deep vat of chocolate and thought, “hmm…that looks good. I think I’ll jump in.”…it could happen. I’ve been walking through the mall at times and have been overtaken by the smell of the Cinnabon. The next thing I know, my face is pressed up against the glass, peering at its sugary goodness! I feel this one…