Monday, July 27, 2009

Denny's restaurants sued over salt in meals

As reported on July 23rd, 2009 by Jerry Hirsch on the latimes.com
Doctors recommend against eating more than 2,300 milligrams of sodium a day. Order Denny’s double cheeseburger and you’ll consume 3,880 milligrams of sodium in one sitting, almost double the daily suggested allowance of salt.
Denny’s meals “are dangerously high in sodium,” according to lawsuit filed today by a New Jersey man with the support of the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a nonprofit group active in nutrition and food-safety issues.
The New Jersey Superior Court lawsuit alleges that Denny’s heavy use of salt puts “the restaurant chain’s customers at greater risk of high blood pressure, heart attack and stroke.” The lawsuit asks the court to order Denny’s to list the sodium content of its food on the menu and warn about the hazards of consuming salt in high doses.
The lawsuit was filed in Middlesex County on behalf of Nick DeBenedetto, a 48-year-old resident of Tinton Falls, N.J., who said he takes medicine to control his blood pressure. DeBenedetto is seeking class action status for the suit.
DeBenedetto said he “was astonished” to learn of the sodium content of Denny’s food. “I never would have selected those items had I known.”

Editor Rozek’s Notes:…Ok…so let me get this straight…DeBenedetto wouldn’t have ordered a double cheeseburger if he had known how much salt it contained because he is taking medicine to control his blood pressure? Um…how many years has he been eating at Denny’s? Isn’t their slogan something like, “Denny’s! Clogging the nation’s arteries with plaque and beef, one person without any sense of health consciousness at a time??” This shouldn’t be a lawsuit. When your blood pressure soars and your heart starts to explode from your chest, you think, “hmm…what could I do differently?…Oh…I know! I should stop eating at Denny’s!” I think the president should weigh in on this too. I am certain that he would use his teleprompter to make a big announcement saying, “The American people who eat at Denny’s are acting stupidly!”…and then he can invite them all over to his house for a beer and a cigarette to explain that that’s not what he meant… “err…no, it’s what I meant, just not what I should have said…um…what I meant to say was that you’re all idiots…wait…no…Crap!…why do I keep getting myself in trouble like this? I couldn’t just have kept my opinion to myself? Here! Just have a hamburger out on the white house lawn.” ...By the time his 4 years is up, the white house lawn is going to be a public park for people he’s apologizing to!

No comments:

Post a Comment