Monday, May 21, 2007

Landis lawyer's new explanation: dehydration

But 1 expert says no way can big testosterone imbalance occur naturally
Dehydration is the latest possible reason offered for Tour de France winner Floyd Landis’ elevated testosterone levels. “Maybe a combination of dehydration, maximum effort,” Jose Maria Buxeda, the cyclist’s lawyer, said Thursday after testing began on his backup sample.
However, Buxeda contends a second positive sample would not be enough to find Landis guilty. He also seemed to question the validity of the French lab, which is accredited by the World Anti-Doping Agency and the International Olympic Committee.
“I wouldn’t say that they know. I would say they can presume. They do not have the certainty,” Buxeda said. By contrast, Landis is “certain” he hasn’t ingested banned substances, Buxeda said.
Landis, joking with the press afterward, said the only stimulant he had turned to after what he called a "disastrous, humiliating" afternoon the day before was a beer.
"But just one," he insisted. "I hadn't given up."

Editor Rozek’s Note: I’m sure the guy is innocent. There are many other causes of an 11:1 ratio of testosterone in a urine sample: growth hormone, EPO, testosterone pills, steroids. I can see how this mistake could’ve happened. He noted that he always had a high level of testosterone. I guess at 11:1 when a normal male is 1:1 or 2:1, someone should’ve checked his ID because he must be about 16 years old. I believe him! Besides…he had a beer the night before…you know? I know that I can barely function until I have my first cup of beer in the morning! All of these urine testing labs are just out to screw athletes. If I had a dollar for every irresponsible, underachieving scientist in a lab accredited by the Olympic Committee, I’d have like…a tub of urine that could be dehydrated into the 6 million dollar man.

No comments:

Post a Comment